The driveshaft support setup of your Porsche plays an integral role in the overall functionality and performance of these high-performance vehicles. Held to a higher standard than others in the industry, Porsche vehicles are expected to operate at their peak at all times. When your driveshaft support fails, it keeps your Porsche from being able to perform at the level you expect.
This is an uncommon issue among Porsche owners, but it is one to be aware of with regard to service needs. Starting with noises coming from the underneath side of your Porsche and growing into louder clanking sounds, driveshaft support failure seldom goes unnoticed. When you experience this in your Porsche, there is help from experienced technicians with top-quality service from Heynneman European.
What does the driveshaft of a Porsche do?
To understand how important the driveshaft support mechanism in a Porsche is, you must first understand its responsibilities. A Porsche’s driveshaft is the controlling mechanism of your drivetrain system. It controls torque and rotation when you are driving, while the support bearing holds the driveshaft in place. It also keeps the driveshaft from swaying or moving, hitting other components of your Porsche.
How to Know Your Porsche’s Driveshaft Support is Failing
Many symptoms that indicate the driveshaft support in your Porsche is failing are easily recognizable. Loud sounds, shutters, or clanking will be evident in most instances. As a large component located underneath your Porsche, it would be hard not to know something is amiss when this part goes out.
- Loud Sounds: To include thumping, rattling, or clanking, a failing driveshaft support system in your Porsche will make noticeable sounds that are unnatural to the vehicle. These sounds stem from a driveshaft that has come loose and knocks against other components as the vehicle is being manipulated and driven about.
- Initial Whining Sound: As the start of larger and more influential sounds to come, a whining sound in your Porsche may symbolize the breakdown of a rubber support bearing. This bearing is prone to drying and cracking from a lack of lubrication, like many other bearings and seals that can be found throughout Porsche models. After this support has disintegrated, louder rattling and clanking sounds will set in as the driveshaft works its way loose.
- Shuddering and Shaking During Acceleration: When you accelerate in your Porsche and notice a shuddering feeling, it can be the direct result of driveshaft support failure. This usually occurs as soon as you hit the gas pedal. It is often accompanied by some of the aforementioned prominent noises that signify driveshaft support failure.
Causes of Driveshaft Support Failure in a Porsche
Not every Porsche’s driveshaft support fails for the same reasons, but some of these causes are more likely and common than others.
- Regular Wear and Tear: Over time, consistent use of the driveshaft in your Porsche can lead to wear and breakdown of the integral support system it is paired with. If you drive frequently and commute often, this may be more likely to occur sooner in your Porsche, because of excess wear and tear. It depends on how often you drive and for how long as your driving affects the wear and tear of your driveshaft support mechanism.
- Issues in Manufacturing: Sometimes, it doesn’t matter how well you maintain your driveshaft support mechanism. It will simply be prone to malfunctioning or quick wear, due to issues in manufacturing.
- Improper Driveshaft Support Installation: If your Porsche’s driveshaft support setup was installed improperly, it can lead to intensifying issues for your vehicle. Your driveshaft could hit against other components so hard it can make them malfunction or wear down, too.
Come Into Heynneman European for Help With Your Porsche
When your Porsche’s driveshaft support fails, it is a big issue for your vehicle. As a strong, structural component located underneath your vehicle, the driveshaft support setup has some hefty responsibility. That’s why Heynneman European wants to be here for you when you need help with malfunctioning or broken driveshaft support.
Heynneman European was founded in 1979 to provide excellent customer service to Porsche owners, and to this day, this repair facility still maintains that outlook. If you are in the areas of Larkspur, Kentfield, Corte, Mill Valley, San Anselmo, Fairfax, or San Rafael in California, stop by Heynneman European or give us a call at (415) 499-1234 to have your driveshaft support checked out.
* Porsche Car image credit goes to: DarthArt.