Since 1927, Volvo has been a leading manufacturer of European luxury vehicles. They design some of the finest cars in the automobile industry and have secured a reputation for making stylish and reliable vehicles. Unfortunately, Volvo’s are still prone to the same issues that hinder all cars. One of these issues is in the HVAC system, namely the compressor.
Dealing with air conditioner issues in your car is never fun, especially in the heat of summer when you need it most. It’s essential to catch these issues early on and get them dealt with promptly. Let’s take a look at a few signs that will help you see this issue before it’s too late.
- AC is turned on, but no cold air is coming out: If only cool or lukewarm air is coming out of the vents in your car, and the AC is turned on, your compressor most likely is not working.
- You hear loud noises when turning on the AC. Like most things in your car, the compressor uses bearings and other components to function. If bearings or other parts break apart from the compressor, the compressor will begin to malfunction and you will hear loud noises emanating from the broken pieces clattering about.
- Your compressor’s clutch won’t move: The compressor in your Volvo has a clutch that allows it to engage with the engine. The clutch is what allows your AC to be turned on and off rather than running nonstop when your car is turned on. If the clutch is damaged, your AC will either run nonstop or not turn on at all.
Reasons for HVAC Compressor Failure in Volvo
There are quite a few things that can cause HVAC compressor failure in your Volvo. Let’s cover the most common ones so that you know what to look for to prevent this from happening.
- Dirty cabin air filter: The cabin air filter functions the same way that an HVAC filter does in your home. It filters out dirty particles and allows your AC to work properly. If this becomes too dirty, it will cause problems within the system and cause your compressor to malfunction.
- Refrigerant leak: Refrigerant is the liquid that circulates throughout the HVAC system coils. It enters the compressor and becomes supercooled, allowing cold air to form and be blown throughout the car. If the refrigerant leaks out, the compressor will overheat and eventually burn out because the refrigerant also cools the compressor as it’s working.
- Dirty or clogged condenser: A dirty or clogged condenser will be mainly due to the dirty cabin air filter doing the opposite of what it’s meant to do.
- Clogged evaporator: If the cabin air filter becomes too dirty to do its job of capturing dirt and particles, that debris has the potential to get lodged in the evaporator. This will cause a chain reaction of a failed evaporator and a failed compressor. Keep the cabin air filter clean!
- Bad blower motor: The blower motor is the component in the system that activates the fan. This forces air from the AC system through the vents and into your car. If this happens, your condenser will constantly be forming cold air with no place to go. Ice will build up within the evaporator and AC coils. This could lead to condenser failure if left unfixed.
- Faults in the electrical system: This is one of the more common causes of condenser problems and total AC failure in Volvo’s. If just one electrical connection becomes severed or disconnected, it will cause a breakdown in the AC system.
Heynneman European is the Volvo Shop for You
With so many components and things that can go wrong, it’s a good thing that Volvo’s are resiliently made and that there are experts out there to help you in your time of need. If you are in the San Rafael, California area, Heynneman European is the place for you.
At Heynneman, we have a long history of faithful service to the Larkspur, Kentfield, Corte, Mill Valley, San Anselmo, Fairfax, and San Rafael areas. Founded in 1979, we employ some of the most experienced and intelligent Volvo mechanics in California.
We have a reputation for honesty and excellence, so make Henneyman European the home for all of your Volvo needs. Call today to make an appointment with one of our friendly, knowledgeable staff members.