With gas prices on the rise, it’s important to be aware of how much fuel your VW uses. If you’ve noticed an increase in miles driven or oil consumption recently, then there may be a problem with one of its engine components that needs attention as soon as possible.
The most important thing to keep in mind about your Volkswagen is that it needs regular maintenance, and if you notice any changes with its efficiency, such as increased fuel consumption or decreased performance, then there may be a problem. You should contact us right away so we can properly inspect and diagnose what’s going wrong before you spend more money at the pumps than necessary. Let’s take a closer look at the factors leading to increased fuel consumption.
The Main Culprits
- Spark Plugs: Spark plugs are an essential part of the combustion process because they ignite fuel with oxygen to produce energy. When spark plugs wear out or stop performing correctly, it can lead to inefficient gas consumption as well as increased risk for carbon buildup in your vehicle’s emissions system, which will eventually need repair.
- MAF Sensor Problems: The mass airflow sensor is responsible for monitoring and notifying the onboard computer about airflow into your engine. When this important component fails, it can significantly impact miles per gallon as well as performance, since fuel estimated by inaccurate sensors will be overcompensated with too much fuel or little, based on misinformation from the sensor. If it’s dumping too much fuel into the mixture, you’ll be at the pump more often.
- Filters and O2 Sensors: If you want to get the most out of your VW, make sure that both fuel sensors and air filters are checked regularly. If they’re not operating at optimal levels due for any number of reasons, including low oxygen content in gas-to-air mixture, then there will be an increase in how much fuel you are using. So, keep an eye on the oxygen sensor.
- Fuel Injector System: Your engine’s fuel system can cause problems when it doesn’t work correctly. The Volkswagen’s onboard computer often overcompensates for a malfunction in this system, so you may need to refuel more frequently than desired! Try using the right gasoline recommended in your owner’s manual, and keep your fuel injectors squeaky clean. You can try high-quality filters, too. Both of these will help reduce the chance of having an issue with your engine that will cause more fuel consumption than necessary.
- Tire Health: One of the most common reasons for reduced fuel economy is because your tires are not in good shape. Uneven wear patterns, incorrect pressure levels or worn-out treads can all contribute to an enormous increase in gas consumption, but this problem has easy solutions! If you notice any symptoms that your car may be using more fuel than usual, start by checking out its tires. A visual inspection is free of charge and can help you save on fuel costs and keep you safer on the roads.
Henneyman European: Bring Your Volkswagen to Us for Inspection!
With the high expectations and standards that car owners have to maintain their European car, routine maintenance and service on demand should always be a top priority. The quality of service your car receives can make a huge difference in the lifespan and performance of your car.
At Heynneman European, our ASE certified mechanics treat your car as if it was our own. We believe that standard of service helps San Rafael area drivers always enjoy the best their European cars have to offer.
The Heynneman European team prides itself on its high level of certification and accreditation. Each technician is fully certified to perform all work procedures to which he is assigned. Further all Heynneman European employees keep their accreditation and certifications up to date, taking all annual tests or checkups as required.
Heynneman European is a member of ASE, the Automotive Service Engineers, so you can count on our workmanship and quality our mechanics produce. If you are in the areas of Larkspur, Kentfield, Corte, Mill Valley, San Anselmo, Fairfax, or San Rafael in California, stop by Heynneman European or give us a call at (415) 499-1234 to have your car checked out.